PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Benalla six dead and $5,000 VOR reward
View Single Post
Old 18th Mar 2007, 22:16
Dick Smith

Received 74 Likes on 29 Posts
SM4 Pirate, you state:

As far as I know the GPS RNAV/GNSS points were not in the data set at the time
I believe the Echo Delta waypoint was in the Airservices database. How else could the aircraft be cleared to track to Echo Delta, and how could the air traffic controller call the pilot and say that he was 65 miles from Echo Delta?

Gaunty, you falsely added words to the VOR posting of 27 April to give PPRuNers a completely different view. In the original post VOR did not add the words “quoted above.” VOR was referring to recent content, and if you go back and look at the history it is obvious that VOR was referring to posts other than the one that I have quoted.

Why ever would VOR be removed from the “roster of participants” for stating the facts about the US airspace system as I have quoted in the first post on this thread?

ShockWave, you state:

There are a lot more things that can be done to prevent a repeat of this kind of accident that would be of more benefit before calling for more E airspace.
And then you state:

Will class E airspace help? I don't know
In fact, if you look at my initial posting I made it very clear (when I said the radar use should be maximised) that the only alternative was not just Class E airspace. I said:

… introduce new procedures or Class E airspace.
Nothing could be clearer.

Just so everyone understands – in Class G airspace there is no regulatory responsibility for the controller in relation to LSA/MSA because the controller does not know if the pilot is visual. Under NAS the pilot must report visual or on the approach, and it is a very much more disciplined system where the responsibility is clearly shared between the controller and the pilot in a more definite way.

Spodman, you state:

Prior to this crash not all RNAV approach points were available to ATC to insert into flight plans
If this is so, it is outrageous. You can buy a complete Jeppesen database for about $150. Are you suggesting that this had never been installed in the TAAATS system? However as stated above, in relation to this accident, the initial approach fix Echo Delta was in the TAAATS database.