PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many Bacon pilots have actually left?
Old 16th Mar 2007, 09:56
CheekyVisual

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't speak for the other bases but if you walk into the crewroom at BHX you will find it very difficult to find anyone who has not got a job elsewhere. There are a few that are staying for personal reasons but most people who could get jobs elsewhere have. I was in crewing the other day and was told after the middle of April we have only enough 145 crews for 20 aircraft and that is just the start.

The sad thing from Fly Be's point of view is that a lot of this was avoidable. A little bit less attitude and more positive communication earlier on would have secured a fair number of BHX crews. Uncertainty coupled with a degree of heard (don't know if that's the right spelling I'm from Wales) mentality lead to the situation the company now finds itself in. "Sorry we can't talk about your future's until the deal is done" just made most of us far too nervous.

On a positive note I thought the info Fly Be sent me the other day was far more useful and instructive than anything I've ever received from BA ! Having information to hand is a real first. On paper at least AIMS looks like a better system than CIAO and I like the airplan layout. There will be teething troubles. Ground handlings going to be a big one. Good Story. Swissport handler to 145 captain "Do you want the bags in the front or back hold". "Can you see a front hold ?" . "Yeah but do you want the bags in it?" "Well I'll tell you what if you can find a front hold put the bags in it and if not put them in the back !" . I'm not trying to be smart but just recognise that the 145 is a new type to Fly Be and there will be misunderstandings about what it can do.

As for the crap about SOPs I'll repeat what I say to everyone who thinks they know better. "You may well know better, you may know for a fact they are petty or not suitable HOWEVER it is their train set and if you want to play with it you follow their rules". I don't agree with a lot of SOPs on the 145 but I stick to them because that's your best defence ! I may not agree with a lot of Fly Be SOPs but I will apply them because that's what they are going to pay me (for about a month) for !

Good luck to all and I hope this goes as smoothly as possible.