PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Benalla six dead and $5,000 VOR reward
View Single Post
Old 16th Mar 2007, 06:51
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
...it was obvious that the pilot was well off course when above FL110
To who? In hindsight, yes, agreed, after plotting it out; but at the time what were the controllers (the three sectors involved (WOL, BLA and HUM) = three alerts) using to assess this "obvious" deviation from track? This has nothing to do with using the radar "correctly".

As far as I know the GPS RNAV/GNSS points were not in the data set at the time, so rerouting it to accurately describe the RAM corridor wasn't an option; thus the only reference point was the navaid/aerodrome; where the aircraft was not going; probably hence no advice to the PIC.

This probably has everything to do with a pilot being below the MSA still in a white/grey/black puffy lump of clag; yes the BLA GPS RNAV can get you lower than the MSA of 3500 within 10NM; but we all know you have to be on the damn thing.

From my untrained eye and from memory the aircraft appears to have gone to EE not ED; but flown the approach as if going to/from ED; sorry I have this all wrong.

Dr, You will get advice from ATCs , about being in RAM in G too, in radar coverage, IFR, when you aren't on the CTAF, and your diversion from track is unexpected; the same RAM rules apply to all classes of airspace; ie there are only one set of rules.