PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Benalla six dead and $5,000 VOR reward
View Single Post
Old 15th Mar 2007, 23:14
SM4 Pirate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dick, Cancelling a RAM without telling a pilot is not negligence. I do it most days somewhere between 20-80 times.

By all means push to get ATC to use the TAAATS alarms.
Cancelling a RAM "Route Adherance Monitor" Alert is not the same thing as 'the aircraft was off track' (even if it was 3 times). The flight plan that the system had, didn't match the the cleared route (=RAM). Tracking DCT to GPS RNAV waypoints can cause this for almost all GPS RNAV tracking points that are "not defined" within the TAAATS data set. Was this the case?

Everytime we vector or have WX diversions, guess what the System route doesn't match the clearance = RAM alert; do I tell the pilot, no way, it's not unexpected, I know why I'm getting the ALERT.

If an aircraft is tracking to a point not defined in TAAATS the obvious happens the RAM goes off. We put the point the aircraft is tracking to in the LABEL so there is no need to inform the pilot they are off track the RAM is not, repeat, not unexpected thus it's cancelled.

What are we supposed to do:
RAM ALERT
Controller: "You're indicating off track for direct BLA"
Pilot: "We're not tracking DCT BLA we are tracking for BLAED as cleared"
Controller "Oh yes that's right, sorry about that"

Obviously ATC are not in the habit of telling pilots they are complying with their clearance in CTA, that's the point. In class G we have no ability to dictate a particular path to fly; if we get a RAM that is unexpected then we would tell the pilot.

The problem for the ATCs in this case is the 'black and white' docs that 'require' this and that action; but the reality is most ATCs would have done the exact same thing; and would still do so today. Reasonable actions of a reasonable man; there but for the grace of god go I.

The biggest issue here is ATCs are not required to monitor appraoches in Class G and in this circumstance the radar coverage is not sufficient to enable anything near effective monitoring anyway. If we were the sectorisation would change massively and you'd need to more than double the low level sectors and controller numbers. RISK vs COST, CBA. Dick is always on about costs; six lives this time, nothing to be laughed at, but what safety benefit would all that cost actually provide. Would have Class E to 1200 AGL saved this flight?

Would enabled MSAW data helped? Probably not as this was removed due to inaccuracy and relevance in Class G; ie MSAW ALERT on a landing aircraft = Issue alert to pilot; terrain alert, oh yes it's the 2 miles of black tar called a RWY.

If this accident happened at YSDU or YBHI or YMIA would it be the 'fault' of the airspace and/or controllers? Even if they cancelled the RAM 80NM before the aerodrome, there would be no subsequent RAMs due to lack of RADAR (just like in this accident).

While I'm here, rumours I've heard is an American (ex ATC) is being hunted to head the new AIRSPACE OFFICE within DOTARS. Here we go again.

NAS is firmly back on the agenda people.