PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 14th Mar 2007, 00:57
DeltaSix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi M1911

GA here is dying a slow death, if not already dead in the major cities like Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne and Adelaide. Although, training is still going on. Not a lot of locals though.

There are a lot of work for GA in the outback on a seasonal basis, 6 months of the year, enough to fill your log book, although CAO states that the max hours you can fly in a year is 900 hours, you can basically expect 60 hours a month on singles and twins (approx. 360hrs for 6 months ), then instructing for the rest of the year on crappy salary, even with multi-engine instructing.

Airlines still have the upper hand in selecting "suitable" candidates as it is still their market. Hopefully the tide is turning as the requirements for Captains now have been reduced to 3,000 hours only and they can now see that there will be a shortage of pilots in the near future. QF and the other LCCs doesn't seem to let up in buying or leasing their new toys.

I can't tell you much about myself on this forum for obvious reasons.
Anonymity is the whole idea that is afforded by a pseudonym, however, just PM me and let me know who you are.

D6