PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Severe turbulence/mountain wave 10th March 2007
Old 13th Mar 2007, 07:34
Jagohu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The question popped up, why ATC doesn't inform pilots in time offering other levels... Well, I'd say that as it was written before our workload can get really high even with a few aircraft in turbulence, but if there's medium or heavy traffic and/or military traffic then especially.

For example... The top of the lower sector is FL345. You're flying at FL370, wanting to know about the turbulence. If you wanna go down below we need to coordinate with the lower sector if they can take you.

If the sectors are collapsed into one, one problem less, but still if everyone wants to fly on the same levels it's not that easy to manage sometimes for 15-20 planes in the sector, especially that you can't base your separation even on the 'more or less same speed for same type a/c'...

Other thing is that we might be busy with arranging something for someone else and/or trying to figure out how's it going to work with all of you going up/down... It takes time as well.

If there's MIL traffic in the area talking to MIL controllers only, they might also wanna change level. The we only got a phone call saying he's going to that level due turbulence and the rest is up to us.

We're trying to help as much as we can, but sometimes we simply don't have the time to tell you about the turbulence 10 minutes ahead just when you're 2-3-4 minutes ahead. Sorry, but I think you might be able to pick up some clues if you're listening carefully to the frequency which is not always the case for certain (not all) people. It's really annoying in a busy enviroment if you need to give the instruction 3-4 times because someone's just not listening. And the others are waiting in the meanwhile, because we're taught to follow the routine 'first things first'. You might be shaking up there for a minute more but first of all two others shouldn't hit...

It also takes a time from our thinking time (you might notice, this is the thing what we lack of at most) if someone's talking about his turbulence for a minute on the frequency - "eeer, radar we're picking up some turbulence here at FL390 overhead xxx, do you have any reports on eeeer lower levels because we're not able for higher today since we're too heavy or do you know if it'll smooth out in a few minutes or for how long will it last?"
Avoid it as much as you can pls. We can see where you are, what is your level - just give us the info and what you want so we can think of something. Thanks

We do our best guys to help you out, but with your help in small issues we can help you maybe even better.

Make a ‘securité’ broadcast on the frequency in use and 121.5 giving your position, level and heading.
I'm not quite sure it's a good idea, since 121.5 should be used only for emergency purposes... I'd rather prefer you to inform others on the 'chat' frq or to tell the ATC - as briefly as you can pls.