PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - engine out acceleration vs recall items B737 CL
Old 12th Mar 2007, 13:03
A37575

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Of course, we are talking *engine* fire and not smoke and fire in the cabin/cockpt/cargo hold. With a fire in the cabin/cockpit/cargo hold, all bets are off... you may have as long as :x0 minutes or as few as 2-3 minutes before it gets real ugly
True. Yet very few simulator sessions will include allowing the crew to practice how quickly they can get the aircraft back on the ground given a cabin/cockpit fire indication. It is not in any regulator approved type rating syllabus I have come across.

That said, I know for a fact that El Al the Israeli airline about six years ago specifically used to train for this eventuality in the simulator during command training. I was personally involved in this training. The fire in the cabin was simulated at lift off and the object of the training was to land the aircraft safely within the shortest time. With practice, times of slightly less than two minutes were obtained in the 737NG. It helped that the Israeli crews were often former or current fighter pilots, of course.