PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - MANCHESTER - 5
Thread: MANCHESTER - 5
View Single Post
Old 11th Mar 2007, 11:46
Lord Toofouright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Shawshank Redemption -no, security at Man!!

How marvellous it was to witness yesterday at 13.30p.m. two queues each four deep, of "Customers" either side of Terminal one concourse that spread back up the slope and into the check-in hall, who were waiting to pass through security control. What wonderfull service and care MA were providing these poor souls, who of course had nothing better to do than stand patiently in line,instead of spending money in the ailing retail outlets who are begging for business or relaxing in the deparure lounge. I don't know what the problem was but it looked like the bad old days of the terror alert some six months ago!
No wonder pax are deserting the NW's premier airport for better hassle free service elsewhere, if that is the " Man. Experience" !!
Manchester has slipped to Fourth now behind Stansted for Aircraft movements and one wonders when the Pax figures will follow suit? Not long at this rate.
Bangladesh-Biman withdrawing, PIA down by nearly half the movements due to a/c probs. BA Disconnect/Flybe withdrawing Premier services to Capital Destinations, Norwegian Air Shuttle stopping, Baltic Airlines stopping, China Airlines Cargo withdrawing their proposed service to Shanghai, the list is almost endless. The only bright spots are Great Wall Cargo, Saudia, Jet blue, Jet8 cargo and JD Aviation training flights ( PA-28 & Seneca)!
When you look at what has been in the recent past and now gone, it makes one wonder? Then again not really when for example American Airlines lands earlier than scheduled and has to wait on the ground until its scheduled arrival time before it can be accomadated on a gate, the same applying to Singapore, Virgin, PIA, Delta, Continental, My Travel, First Choice, (I could go on!). That's one reason airlines don't hold out any expansion plans, as the ones they operate already are sometimes subject to shambolic ground delays. Yes every major airport in the world sometimes has delays getting to the Gate, but I've yet to experience any at Frankfurt, Paris, Madrid, Amsterdam or Stansted.
It's an ideal time to invest Massively in terminal re-development, if only The Board could have just a modicum of vision about them. (They used to be brilliant at it many years ago, but alas not now. )
I do wish Mr. Muirhead could have been at the back of the security queue yesterday to see what appaling service his company are providing to their customers and businesses wthin the airport. Having been on the receiving end of it he could perhaps grab the bull by the horns and bring Manchester storming back into the ranks of Best of British airports,then he would be able to rate himself along side Gill Thompson and George Harvey - who were true visionarys At the moment though " visionless "