PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What do pilots do that 'irk' you?
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2007, 23:32
On-MarkBob

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice thread you guys. As licensed engineer and pilot (now Capt B767), I'd like to think that I treat as I had wished to be treated when I was engineering. But I still get pissed off with exactly the sort of stuff you write about here. I was once told by the chief pilot of Airtours not to mention to the others (pilots) that I was an engineer! "Whyever not" I exclaimed, "I'm dam proud of being an engineer, and I'm only doing this 'cause the money's better"!!

Let us not forget though that I.A.W the ANO 'the tech log can also be used as a means of communication between crews', so entries don't necessarily have to be a defect. I will sometimes put "Advise" for example when 3 wheel covers are coming up on life at the same time, knowing we only have one at the base. I'd like to hope it just give enginering the 'heads-up'. Putting 'For Info' should be the same and might just mean "We had a funny problem, but it isn't there now, it might occur again, has anyone else reported anything similar?" Just to give you guys something to look out for as your experience might tip you off to the fact that you had a similar defect that started the same way. It's the 'For Infos that actually record a defect that piss me off, ie. 'For Info: stb. nav light U/S'

My particular dislike is when the engineer tells them how long it's going to be to fix and then they get a slot in about half the time hoping by some miracle it will be alright any minute.

And, when they start loading the passengers without consulting the engineers who might be working in the cabin.

Generally, I find all the engineers to be top guys, down to earth and very patient. I have to admit I have sometimes used three pages to discribe a defect, after all I don't pay for the paper so why not use the stuff and give as much info as possible.