PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Indonesian jet down
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2007, 08:05
Tarq57

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
At last report, 6 of 7 crew survived.....given the overall casualties and their responsibilities, is this a high survival rate or is there something more sinister to it.....
Don't know, but it doesn't seem sinister to me. The crew usually sit in seats with full harness, some of them aft-facing.
AFAIK cabin crew are, as part of their training, instructed that if their lives are in peril they are to get out. They are not (and should not be) expected to stay in a risky situation even to save others. That some of them do in this sort of event is utterly heroic, I think.
I'm fortunate to have never been in something like this. Don't know how I'd react. And I think, neither does anyone else. I'd like to think I'd be on to it, helpful, cool calm collected etc, but the truth is that until you experience it, you don't know. Reactions can vary from the truly heroic to the frozen in shock, and everything in between.
And any of these reactions are normal, in a shocking situation. In a former life, I was in the Fire Brigade, and have seen a fairly wide range of reactions to shock, even in trained professionals, and in myself. It's all normal, like it or not. (Apparently) admirable or not.
Let's put the armchair judgements aside.