PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - x-credit glider time
View Single Post
Old 8th Mar 2007, 06:20
kiwiblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many thanks vh-ajm and Miraz. Extremely helpful and pretty much in line with my initial thoughts also, although I had expected there to be some form of powered-flight minimum for issue of a powered aircraft PPL, or a corresponding max on the hours able to be cross-credited.

Originally Posted by rmcdonal
At that age I would suggest getting him into the Air Force Cadets. Cheapest flying anywhere.
I agree, and exactly what I 1st suggested to the lads' dad, especially given the lad is active in the sea cadets, so has at least some idea of a quasi-military environment. However...
Originally Posted by kiwiblue
He (the young bloke) seems less than enamoured of the RAAF path, more set on GA as a route to the majors.
Again thanks, I'll pass the information on!

Originally Posted by BrokenConrod
Having done both, I think 1 hr in a glider is the equivalent of no more than 5 min in a VH- registered powered aircraft.
Keh??? That to me is a very strange and misleading response! I am aware that there is generally a considerably lower hours-experience in a glider to 1st-solo than a powered aircraft. I would correspondingly expect an experienced glider pilot to 1st solo a powered aircraft in considerably less time than an ab initio powered trainee, much as I would any experienced powered pilot to probably solo a glider in less time than their trainee!

Whilst I have been flying powered aircraft professionally more years than I care to remember, I have only once flown a glider. It was particularly when the aircraft was launching (I was towed) and landing that I knew there was helluva lot more to learn about this gliding caper -let alone the upper-air work. Would I solo in 55 minutes? I doubt it very much; if I did, I would be very cautious of my own competence in the aircraft and definitely looking for more solid instruction.
As to your sugestion of an hour in the glider equating to only 5 minutes in a powered aircraft, I would have to question you on that also. I have flown (in powered aircraft) with experienced glider pilots and I assure you, their stick & rudder skills are far above average, let alone their forced-landing skills (field selection, wind judgement and height/flight-path required judgement). EVERY landing for them is a 'forced' landing.
Those reasons in part are why I look forward to my next opportunity to learn more from the gliding fraternity.
Further may I point out; should you ever suffer a BrokenConrod, there is a strong possibility you will then be flying a glider...

Regards

Last edited by kiwiblue; 8th Mar 2007 at 06:40.