PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Monarch T & C's
Thread: Monarch T & C's
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2007, 16:34
BYMONEK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WTtH

That may well be due to the fact that rosters in Monarch are quite simply not worth the paper they're written on.The only thing that's recognised is your day off but forget the rest ladies and gents.

Monarchs archilles heel is it's lack of roster stability and was the fundamental reason for my resignation almost 4 years ago. Things haven't changed since then and i'd srongly advise anyone who values their social and family life to think very long and hard before applying. I'd been there over 9 years and as a Captain with an excellent final salary, it was undoubtedly a tough decision but one which I don't regret for one minute. I miss some of the flying and certainly most of my colleagues ( on both sides of the door!), but not for one minute do I miss the severe dicking I got from roster changes. 27 plot changes in one month was my record. 3 in one month was the best achieved and that was with 2 weeks leave! Some people can live with it but for others like me it simply wears you down.

The Company were never prepared to change and BALPA, or should I say the Company Council, weren't prepared to fight it either. When Britannia( Thomsonfly) incorporated it 6-7 years ago, it was well received by pilots AND crew control. Their CC fought for it and it grieved me greatly that ours didn't and haven't since. The number of 'shots across their bows' that were threatened against the Company from the CC was laughable. I always believed there were some on that Council who were there ,not for us, but to further themselves and so true it came to be!

As a comparison, in the almost 4 years i've been with my new Company, i've had a total of 4 changes to my roster. 2 actual changes, 1 cancellation due training and 1 voluntary change that I requested through a trip swop.
Quality of life is something some people might describe as priceless. I'm one of them. YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Regards

BYMONEK