PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Abuse on 121.5
Thread: Abuse on 121.5
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2007, 12:07
OxfordFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'll hold my hands up and say I was one of those low-houred PPL studes who made a practice pan call on 121.5 a few weeks ago.

Before making the call, which my instructor had made me write down in the pre-flight, we listened out on frequency for 5/10 mins to make sure it was clear and then proceeded. We had to climb a bit to get a fix, my instructor taking control of any unexpected communications to minimise time on frequency, but the professionalism of the service was of the highest standard and I'd like to thank them for their time. Beforehand there was a mysterious and almost 'no-go' feeling of calling 121.5, but now I know what is on the other end and what can be expected, this feeling has evaporated.

Don't get me wrong, I won't be on 121.5 as first port of call if I've missed a waypoint by a couple of mins. As taught and learnt, I'll be looking out for landmarks, doing a few orbits to confirm my location, calculating what could have gone wrong, checking the fan lines on my chart, calling for QDMs, using NDBs, maybe talk to another airfield who can help me out, etc. etc., but it has certainly given me confidence in knowing that there is a safety net and exactly what to do if everything goes belly up. Much better than me trundling through CAS causing airliners to break off their approach, or stumbling into IMC and ending up as another CFIT stat (I don't have any intentions whatsoever of doing so, but mistakes happen and life is occassionally unpredictable).

Apologies to any CAT pilots who got a little miffed at the call. If I'm ever fortunate enough to fly as a career and hear a practise PAN on 121.5, I'll certainly remember the day I made mine and think there is another pilot who has learnt to use 121.5 correctly. From what I understand reading the thread, it may get a little tiresome hearing it 3 or 4 times a day, but I wouldn't begrudge them a practice pan, knowing how it has given me a much greater understanding, more confidence with and greater respect for the service provided on 121.5. I certainly won't be asking for football scores on it.

Just thought I would add a persepctive from a PPL stude.