PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another Indonesian jet down
View Single Post
Old 7th Mar 2007, 11:20
Barry Bernoulli

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have to agree regards the sentiments about the cameraman being in a position to shoot footage. As a journo who would be a frequent flyer, the safety briefing would be familiar to that person whether it was delivered in English or any other language; specifically that all personal items would have been stowed for landing, either in the overhead locker or under the seat in front, and that if an evacuation was required, all personal items should be left behind be it a pocket sized handycam or a larger item.

Trying to evacuate 130-odd persons out of a burning jet with several exits unavailable and smoke in the cabin would not be made any easier by anyone trying to retrieve personal items. The cameraman concerned may have found themselves in possession of their camera by any number of legitimate circumstances. I just hope that they can reconcile with themselves that they did not, by their actions, cause any delay to the evacuation, or fail to provide assistance to the evacuation, that could have resulted in the loss of life or additional injury.

Personally, I could have lived without seeing the footage.