PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I work a MAC ?
View Single Post
Old 22nd Jul 2001, 16:30
SLB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am a little surprised to learn the PPRuNe staff are Mac centric. I too am a long time Mac user. I have encountered a great deal of difficulty with this board using PBG3 / MacOS 9.1 / Netscape 4.77 (broadband & dial up access). While the board can be accessed with this combination, it is only a short time before pages will stall and not paint up. Once this occurs, no web site can be viewed, they all stall, quit and restart Netscape clears it up - as long as I don't log on to PPRuNe. If I avoid PPRuNe with this combination, then I can successfully surf other sites without difficulty. This includes other sites utilizing ultimatebb software, no problem with them. Note, using Internet
Explorer avoids this problem - arrgh, software from the evil empire! My best guess is the offending code is coming from the ads, possibly java related, but I haven't found a way to confirm that. So while the board in general is Netscape friendly, some of your advertisers may be using web creation tools from Microsoft!

And of course, this is an old Microsoft paradigm - take possession of standards by offering "compatible" tools, then add a little here or there that breaks everyone
else's software, but runs fine on Microsoft products. Goes back to the days of DOS
when the Microsoft credo was " no new version of DOS that doesn't break Lotus 1-2-3, but runs fine on Multiplan" (Multiplan is Excel's predecessor)