PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How do I work a MAC ?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jul 2001, 20:21
PPRuNe Towers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLF,

Invest a few hours with a search engine.

You'll be able to find second hand books covering that version of the Mac's operating system. I'd recommend 'The little Mac Book.'

There are many sites and chat boards out there. Bookmark them to return after you've devoured their FAQ sections.

The only clue I can give to switching over to the Mac way of doing things is to adopt the state of mind that you form the machine to do what you want it to do. It's anarchic compared the DOS/Windows world. Just make what you want where you want it.

If that doesn't seem terribly useful advice it's because everyone's Mac is totally different. They're designed to meld into what you do the way you want to do it. It's also the reason users are so fanatical about them.

I haven't returned to the Mac world for that reason particularly. I used them in the early 128 days like Danny. The system with two floppies and a laserwriter cost as much as a new Mini.

I've only come back into the fold because they do what they say on the tin. So far I've plugged in printer, scanner, digital stills, digital video, extra hard drive, graphics tablet, cordless mouse, speakers and voice dictation headset without a single IRQ clash, error, conflict, driver problem or lock up.

That's what sold me - your mileage may vary.

Regards from the Towers
Rob Lloyd
[email protected]

[ 17 July 2001: Message edited by: PPRuNe Towers ]