PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Why are South Africans so Negative
View Single Post
Old 4th Mar 2007, 14:41
birdlady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2c,
I spent most of my life living in africa..............5 years in zim and 8 in SA. Last June I left. I was convinced I was going to stay (no work permit but I was determined to make a plan) but shortly before my parents were to leave (three weeks to be precise) I had an attempted hijacking. Broad daylight and in rush hour traffic. **** it I said to myself, I can not deal with this kuk anymore so I upped and left. This was my third hijacking. I know several
people who were murdered, several girlfriends who were rapped and I myself have witnessed someone being shot in the head. I've also witnessed two stabbings. So please dont come and tell me that it is not a war. Enough negativity.

I now live in Serbia. The gulag. I think that says it all really. It really is like stepping back 40 years in time. Technically, communism does not exist here anymore but this could not be furthur from the truth. Roads......if you could even call them that. Telephone company has a four year waiting list for a land line. The schools and universities......completely pathetic. Grocery shopping.........good luck. 7/10 the butchers have no meat. Bread.....go early in the morning and you might find some. However, contrary to popular belief, the serbians are wonderfull people and its increadibly safe here. I can walk down the street, by myself at ANY time of the day/night with no worries. The mafia is increadibly big here. They are the only wealthy ones and own most of the restaurants/bars/caffes but they generally leave the average jo so alone. The average salary here is 300 - 400 euros a month (this includes doctors, lawyers, engineers)

To summarise. I miss SA terribly. Would I move back if I got the opportunity..........maybe..... it would all depend on the opportunity and where I would be based (ct...YES definately JHB pigs would fly first ) Its a wonderfull country (no place like it and it will always be my home) but has a lot of problems....safety being the big one in my case.