PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Engineers - Keep Your Status!
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2007, 07:36
Blacksheep
Cunning Artificer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
We the undersigned petition the Prime Minister to Professional Status For Engineers and Engineering
It will be a cold day in hell before Tony Bliar will be qualified to determine who does or does not have professional status. Let him stick to pontificating upon Jade Goody and the other denizens of the Big Brother house.

Good heavens! If we let the politicians have anything to do with the profession, in no time at all people will be buying Chartered Engineer status!

Litebulbs - I didn't follow the alternative route for LAMEs, it only came in last September, so I don't know what it involves. Check with the RAeS for specific details: my guess is that there are no fixed guidelines and each case is checked on its individual merit. Assuming their individual background check is accepted, LAMEs will still have to do a professional review.

In my case I was working in Technical Services as Section Head and was already MRAeS. I had to fill in the forms and submit them with a brief summary of a technical project I'd undertaken. I was invited for a Professional Review at the RAeS and asked to bring the evidence of my qualifications (my degree, licenses, course certificates, etc.) and samples of my work - a Modification, some SB assessments and some samples of Engineering Orders. These serve to both prove your claimed background & experience and provide the basis for discussion.

There are two assessors (there was an 'extra' sitting in on mine - a CAA chap who was being trained as an IEng assessor). The focus was on the Engineer's role in society, including the economic and social impact of what we do. It didn't take long but they did make me sweat a bit - you wouldn't be able to bluff your way through. Imagine being asked to give an off-the-cuff presentation on the socio-economic impact of installing TCAS as a retrofit modification and you'll get some idea of what's involved.

I can't remember what it all cost but it wasn't an arm and a leg - apart from Mrs B being let on the loose in Oxford Street while I was in Hamilton Place.