PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The CTC Wings (Cadets) Thread - Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2007, 13:58
Wing_Bound_Vortex

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Things that really make the programme different...hmmm....financing isn't too bad, unsecured loan as opposed to secured, able to cover almost all the costs, extensive sim time in the lead up to the IR, quite a few more multi hours on the a/c, and of course the big one being the tie in with the airlines.

Plus New Zealand is a beautiful country to spend the better part of a year in Kiwi's are very laid back

I guess for me the likelyhood of a job at the end of the training was the deciding factor, and believe me that's a big draw when you're investing all that money and time. There is a very good chance that as long as you pass the course you'll be employed and onto a type rating almost straight away. I don't believe there are many other courses around that give you that same feeling ( warm and fuzzy ), to the same extent as training with CTC.

However........

NOTHING in this game is guaranteed, and you could still be left holding the can if airline recruitment goes t:#s up whilst you're training, which could happen for very many reasons. That's the risk you always take, you've got to reconcile yourself with that before diving in.

CTC grads are pretty much the same as any flying graduate from a good flying school, as long as that school monitors and checks your progress to ensure you're maintaining high standards. We're no different to anyone else really, can't see any reason why we would be.

The training can be intense, not so much in NZ but from when you get back to the UK in particular to start JAR IR and CPL training. Expect to feel under heavy pressure at various times during your training with CTC, instructors complete progress reports on every flight and if you don't meet the required standards you will repeat required parts. There's only so many times you can do this before you get chopped, it can and has happened. I felt my CPL and IR 170A checks with CTC instructors( the flights you do prior to the actual flight with the CAA examiner ) were far more demanding than the actual flight tests, not in terms of the elements you have to complete but at the level you were expected to achieve.

I don't think anyone actually knows the EXACT arrangement between CTC and the airlines, and it doesn't really matter, CTC are a training provider, when an airline goes to CTC and requests pilots they know they are getting a certain standard, thereby reducing the risk exposure. You then become employed on a contract with the airline, not CTC.

Anyone wanting to know more feel free to pm, bear in mind i've been on the line with the big orange for about a year now so that means i'm a little more detached from what's happening with the course than i used to be. However from chatting with the new guys coming through onto the line i can see that most of the things that applied when i went through still do.

Take it easy

WBV