PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC... Bollockings for all
View Single Post
Old 1st Mar 2007, 08:25
Magplug

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opnot said:
magplug
I assume in your latest moan ,reading back your Sid before departure, you are referring to to the listo / honiley check.
This check came in because professional airline pilots!!!!!! are issued a Honiley Sid and deciced to fly a Listo SID in doing so screwed up any in built separation.Also this procedure has not stopped, so do you really know what you are talking about
Yes. On my last visit on Monday I was not asked for a second readback.

I understand from your post that not only do you work at MAN ATC but furthermore are not receptive to feedback.

When you ask a pilot for a second readback of the ATC clearance between giving line-up clearance and then issuing the take-off clearance you are introducing a distraction on the flight deck at a critical moment. On most jets the pre-take off checklist is partially run to the point of awaiting line-up clearance. On receipt of the clearance to line-up or T/o the rest of the VA's are then completed. If you introduce a distraction at that point of asking for yet another readback of the departure SID then the crew must stop the checklist and deselect the SOP displayed page on the FMC to confirm the SID and then return to the SOP displayed page and then..... did we do the pre-T/O vital actions.....? 'cos the guy just told us to take off..........? What may seem like a minor thing to you actually introduces a very unwelcome & dangerous distraction for someone else.

The possible departure error of 'Pilot reads-back X but then does Y' exists at all airfields although at very low levels and is usually found to be caused by one pilot having taken the ATC clearance un-monitored by the other.
If you are having a greater problem with this issue at MAN than any other airfield then there must be a good reason for it as the same companies with the same SOP's seem to get on alright everywhere else. Perhaps some smarter analysis of those incidents might reveal shortcomings associated with critical similarities in the design of the SIDS or even something as simple as SID nomenclature. Would I also be correct in saying the 2 (confusing) southbound SID's, HON & LISTO, only exist as two separate departures merely for environmental reasons ?

I have read the replies from MAN ATC to MOR's from my company on this issue and the attitude seems to be 'This is the way we are going to do so live with it'. Frankly, that is where I draw my conclusions about MAN ATC.

What is not needed is the imposition of unilateral fixes with no regard for other more important flight safety areas.