PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - loadmasters
Thread: loadmasters
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2007, 22:10
**MM**

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As one of the few on the inside, I’ve been watching this thread with interest.
I get the impression that some of you think that you need to let everyone know that the job’s not worth taking. If any prospective applicants want to take your advice, that’s up to them, but if they can’t make a decision themselves then they’re not the type of person we want at Wickes. All the applicants will be given a full rundown on the post at the interview and they can ask whatever questions they feel appropriate to be able to make an informed decision on whether the job is for them or not.
At Wickes we have high standards for our Loadmasters and each individual has to have the right attributes to maintain these standards while working both as part of the Wickes team and on their own while down-route. We are not only responsible for the loading and weight and balance at each stop, we are the airlines representative at each destination, dealing with a multitude of issues, both regular and irregular.
I’m one of the former Channex Loadies and I’ve spent 5 years battering round Europe on night parcel contracts and it was a great way to learn the job. However, it’s human nature to want to progress and flying long haul to far off places was always going to appeal to me more than night parcels. It’s probably the same for some of my colleagues.
I’ve also spent time in the shed and on the ramp so I’ve seen both sides of the coin. I enjoyed running round the ramp, shunting pallets and driving forklifts but I felt I needed something more challenging.
Don’t get me wrong, if you’re happy chucking bags, that’s cool. Some people are equally happy sweeping roads as others are performing brain surgery.
I love my job and there’s nowhere I’d rather be than working for Wickes. It’s not just about the money, for me it’s all about job satisfaction, the fact that I get to visit far flung places that I would probably not see otherwise and it’s a physical and mental workout. Yes, the job has its downsides and the rosters do change, but it’s the nature of our work and you have to be flexible. For me, a few night stops in HKG, DXB or JNB usually made up for it.
In the 3½ years I’ve been at Wickes I’ve flown stuff that you wouldn’t believe would fit on an aircraft. I’ve worked contracts for the A1 Grand Prix that took me on a 4 month tour to 7 different countries and I’ve spent 2 months working in San Francisco. I’ve flown White Rhinos to South Africa, Tsunami relief goods to Sri Lanka and helped new airlines with their start-up operations.
Whoever is offered the position will be in full possession of the facts about the job if, and when, they decide to accept. The company’s decision will be made on ability and experience as it’s in everybody’s best interest to do so.
I look forward to working with whoever is successful with their application and can safely say that the varied work that we undertake will ensure that no two days are the same. You’ll find the work to be very rewarding if you’re willing to put in the time and effort.
Good luck
Matt