PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC... Bollockings for all
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2007, 17:26
Homepage

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On a more serious note, the useage of phraseology Left and Right didn't and won't stop me and my colleague accidentally setting up the aircraft for 06L at Manchester while 06R was/is in use. (Following a very nice brief - all be it from "the wrong plate"! Doh.) In the event, we didn't get a LOC signal from 06L - but what if...?

Although we figured it out on base leg, I never mind being VERY clear about which runway we're using because we all need extra safety nets from time to time(Especially after four consecutive 5a.m. starts!!).

Not meaning to annoy any Man controllers, nor do I condone slack RT used by many at our daily destinations, but I hope this might help you understand the human side...

When we operate in the rest of the world where a whole variety of RT practices achieves a routine result, then returning to textbook RT practices at Manchester after 10 hours away from it can be a little trying. Especially when we pilots are tired and emotional.

So ATC'ers, this doesn't excuse the poor RT, but might help shed some light on what may be in the minds of some of those on the other end of your radio.
I can say for myself that I often appreciate a gentle contoller request for a readback to clarify something I may have been ambiguous about.
BUT with just a little too much conviction from the controller it can set off a feeling of mild anger that I would like to think I'd never feel - but it sometimes happens me too. Now there's human factors for ya!! But to this day, I haven't let it spill out to the airwaves. What's said to my colleague on the flight deck might be different, hee hee

Oh well, just a bit more fuel on the fire from me.