PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - London City
Thread: London City
View Single Post
Old 26th Jun 2001, 01:01
Red Spitfire Driver

Gentlemen, lets calm down !!!

As an Area ATCO, here are my actions if a pilot reports a 'sick passenger' to me.

My first question to him is he declaring a PAN. My way of saying, are you in need of a priority?

If his response is yes, then he gets a priority approach and other aircraft (quite rightly) get a slight delay. If he refuses to declare a PAN (i've had it happen) - then fine join the queue.
Once he has declared the PAN my next question is 'Are you arranging medical services?' Depending on his response. I either leave him to it. As he has the'sick passenger' and can pass on the current state of the casualty to his handling agent.
OR if he wants me to do something, then I pass on the request to the Aerodrome ATCO, who will notify the ambulance service by the quickest means possible. The Aerodrome ATCO will also notify the aerodrome fire service who are very well versed in First Aid and will, I am sure be on hand when the aircraft has landed.

That is what happens.

On the subject of 'sick passenger' - Perhaps someone can explain why an aircraft with a '''sick passenger''' on board, declares a PAN at 15West then continues flying across Ireland, South Wales to land at Heathrow. When if someone is so ill as to require a priority approach, the Captain thinks it OK to overfly and not divert to Shannon, Dublin, Cardiff ?? OR in another case that has happened to me - fly all the way down the UK to Heathrow instead of landing at the numerous suitable airfields in Scotland, and 'tup north ???