PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ATC... Bollockings for all
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2007, 11:09
octavian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Initial Calls, Runway Idents and Situational Awareness

Sorry for the late call chaps, only just come on frequency. You're not expecting me, so if I tell you who I am, where I am and what I am doing, then that must enhance your situational awareness, whether Pilot or ATCO, even if the latter is expecting me. So an initial call including c/s, ILS established, r/w including L,R,(C or whatever) and range sets the scene for everyone on the frequency. Anything that enhances situational awareness of those who may be affected has to be a safety plus, always assuming that they're listening. At Manchester, under normal circumstances, the only initial call using callsign onlyon a tower or approach frequency is on transfer from one of the two approach control positions to the final director, and that is only if specified. Yes, it can get busy with high r/t loadings, yes we can all get grumpy, yes we can have approaches to both runways simultaneously, yes we have had crews set up for the wrong runway. It's dead easy to get it wrong, and I like talks in the boss's office without biscuits as little as the next man or woman. It's also dead easy to do it right. Have read through some of the previous posts and can't really believe that we're all on the same side.