PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AirNZ profits up
View Single Post
Old 28th Feb 2007, 07:41
kiwiblue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oicur12 & galdian with ref:

Originally Posted by oicur12
Free markets would have seen NZ fold years ago
Neither factual nor even close to the truth. The New Zealand marketplace has been hugely deregulated and unprotected (unlike the Australian market) since Roger Douglas held the fiscal purse strings in the government of David Lange c1980's. NZ is far closer to a 'free market economy' NOW than Australia has ever been or is likely to be in the forseeable future.

If your sledge was to do with the performance of Air NZ as recently announced... that remains as one of the few 'protected' species in the country; and believe me, not all of the NZ aviation industry enjoys the protection of governmental favour -it's sink or swim for the rest of us. Still as the National carrier and flag-bearer for Aotearoa overseas I would habe been surprised and shocked had the government of the day simply allowed Air NZ to fade away when they were under threat.

I was fortunate enough to secure a couple of thousand ANZ shares just before trading was temporarily ceased; got them at about 20c each then. I'm quite happy with their performance (fiscally) to date and looking forward to a wee divvy cheque that should damn near recover the total cost of the shares I purchased! She's all downhill from here Damn but I do wish I'd been able to scrape a few more dollars together then... but that's the joys of working in GA in NZ for ya -I bought all I could afford at the time.