PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger A320s to operate domestic downunder?
Old 26th Feb 2007, 02:03
Skystar320

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

The previous poster made some quite good points, which I am going to expand on a little. These are all hypothetical so don’t shoot down my ideas but comments are welcome.

With five aircraft, there is only one idea that comes to mind and I’ll bet my bottom dollar on this that it will actually happen depending if Tiger is allowed to operate Australian services. I remember when Tiger launched services to Singapore to Perth I remember them saying that they wanted to make Perth a mini hub. When you compare that Perth is closest to Asian countries that the rest of Australia (beside Darwin which I haven’t forgotten, but left out for reasons that I will explain).
Perth – Singapore is what a 5hr flight at best of times, ideal sufficient range within an A320. The basis of this is that Tiger doesn’t have to get an aircraft that has longer legs to do SIN – BNE/MEL/SYD so going back to a true LCC  reducing costs by operating one aircraft.
With 5aircraft concentrating on the most lucrative Perth – Melbourne Perth – Sydney routes, it is possible of having up to 4 return services per route. When you see the lead in fares its makes sense that this will be the most lucrative routes. With the WA’s booming resource sector showing no sign of slowing and Qantas now putting 747-300’s on the route’s and still running at 90% + LF most accountants will be buzzing over the ‘potential’ profit figure.
By offering the ‘punters’ frequency there will be always Friend’s visiting relatives and business personal on these flights. Okay so let’s say that they set up a hub in Perth with 5 x A320’s flying Perth – Melbourne and Perth – Sydney. Now that they have got there ‘foot’ in the door Tiger can start offering flights to Singapore from both Melbourne & Sydney with a connection through Perth.
Remember Valuair’s idea of going into Sydney & Melbourne, there was one problem. True LCC have one set of aircraft, not two hence the idea of ‘lowering’ costs associated with operating one kind of aircraft.
I know I have only ‘skimmed’ the service so to speak, but to me and a few other people it makes sense for them to be based in Perth instead of Darwin. No offence to people living in Darwin with a population of only 120,000 they can support 5 x A320 aircraft. Its too much leisure traffic not enough corporate.

This is Skystar signing off for Aviation Weekly!

Bye