PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cullen concern over Ryanair landings
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2007, 14:44
Few Cloudy

ex-Tanker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Relativising criticism is not off subject...

Hi Midland, Hi Paddy,
I guess Midland, that you are very interested in flying (great!) but possibly don't fly privately, so not wishing to state the obvious, steering an aircraft is not like steering a car, in that an input - even an abrupt one - doesn't necessarily cause an abrupt reaction, as felt or seen from the cabin. An incipient roll due to a gust, if caught in a timely manner (and believe me all pilots are very alert at the flare phase of a gust approach) can be cancelled out - for instance by a short sharp opposite control input. This gives you your "Spoiler but no Roll" case.
Paddy. as you know (I am also guessing) it is not black or white - it is a matter of degree. My remarks were intended to help folks in the back, unaware of the actions up front. The ability to let it drift down to taxy speed (Basel, Nice in some cases) using idle reverse doesn't exist in the cases I mentioned above - you have to do something to get the ship to slow down in time - ie. effective amounts of reverse and just before turn off some braking. This is felt by all on board and compared to his/her previous experience by each passenger / cabin crew member. A long landing (which again no one deliberately goes for in LTN) will cause even harder deceleration - or missing the turn off.
By the way, a long hold-off landing is not the best way to "grease it on" - the best way is to keep the thrust on longer and fly it right to the ground - chop thrust about 5 feet up - maybe 2 knots over VThreshold but under control and in the right place.
FC.