PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 25th Feb 2007, 08:00
DeltaSix

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Point taken Expatula. I think we all agree that good training and recurrency should be able to prevent most of these accidents and incidents happening. But there is one thing that might compromise the safety of the aircraft and nullify all these preparation - the pilot's attitude.
No matter how much training and preparation a person has done, if someone's attitude like being complacent and being cavalier - "devil may care" attitude prevails in the cockpit, then this is a big problem. Departing late all the time for example is just the tip of the iceberg.
Then we pass the law of probability that something like this would happen, like the A320 that overshot the runway in Bacolod in March 98 plowing into several houses killing people on the ground in the process.
Apparently, the auto thrust system malfunctioned and the crew not being able to retard one engine prevented the spoilers deploying and engaging reverse thrust.

Or a crew not being able to detect a problem with the pressurization or not being able to provide a "band-aid" solution to that problem when the outflow valve has malfunctioned.

If these are not included in the company's training program what then can they do ?......

Just my two cents worth. I'll go get my coat now.....

D6