PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Tiger A320s to operate domestic downunder?
Old 25th Feb 2007, 03:12
resboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think people might be getting a little over excited about what this 5 aircraft outfit might actually offer us.

What exactly do people think Tiger is going to offer that either Virgin or Jetstar (arguably our two low cost carriers) don't? Generous luggage allowances? More legroom? Better flight timings? Flexibility with flight close out times? I'm thinking hell no. Yes some of Tiger's lead in fares are quite amazing. But then so are DJs and JQs when you can find them. And lets remember these great fares are always in short supply for any airline and always adequately compensted by yield managers with much dearer fares.

Tiger like every other operator will be out to make a buck. And making a buck for a low cost operation is providing a basic generic service which doesn't provide for much customer flexibility. Basic transport from A to B where the fills come a distant second to cramming as many people into the bus and getting it out safely and on time. Any add ons (extra luggage, food, late check in) you pay. All to make a buck.

With respect to serving smaller centres, if Tiger can make better money utilising their aircraft on daylight services between the "majors" ie SYD, MEL, PER and BNE, you can bet that DRW will probably miss out in achieving what people are hoping for by way of daylight services. An unfortunate reality of airlines trying to pull a profit; allocate the aircraft to where it will earn the best return.

And just to balance out the views the planes only leave DRW between the hours of 2300 and 0300 (which yes they do with those LCCs that many seem to detest so passionately on these threads), lets also remember QF still offer daylight services ex DRW to PER, ASP, ADL and BNE (and SYD during the dry). I don't ever really recall there being daylight services to MEL even back in the "good ol days".

I wish Tiger and those who decide to join good luck, but am somewhat cynical about where they will fit in the market?