PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angry Post
Thread: Angry Post
View Single Post
Old 24th Feb 2007, 21:15
Stratman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Wife,
Your feelings are completely understandable, to throw tens of thousands of pounds into training and see no return on that investment is not desirable but it happens all too often in this industry. There is an earlier post by Gnirren which is very accurate and not often talked about, to do with the realities of this job. It does end up running your life, you may buy a house, settle the children at a school only to be told that your husbands base is to be changed and that may be several hundreds of miles away. He will have two choices at that point move or leave, this industry is very unforgiving in its treatment of staff and is becoming more so due to gross oversupply.There are some terrible companies to work for [ I`ve worked for some of them} Back in the 80`s when I started there were companies whose manner of operation would frighten the life out of many new pilots, I`ll go no futher on that theme because you really would not want to know. Training schools have long since kept very quiet about the `downsides` flying for a living and believe me when I say there are many. They trade on what is percieved as a dream job but there is no such thing and if there is then is certainly is not being a commercial pilot.Yes it can be exciting, satisfying and rewarding sometimes but then again so can many other jobs, what really makes it unique is the crushing amount of financial investment and insecurity of persons in your situation for something that in my opinion after 21 years does not equal the sum of its parts and is getting noticably worse. I wish him good luck and hope he finds what he is searching for.