PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Save The Red Arrows - Sign the Petition
View Single Post
Old 23rd Feb 2007, 06:52
Winco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rudekid,
I think we will have to retain our own opinions and disagree on this. My fundamental point in all of this is that if we get rid of them, the money will NOT go to the troops at the front line. Indeed, it will not go to the troops at all or even go back to the defence budget. It will go to support one of this governments many 'more PC' groups - and we all know what I'm refering to. If we get rid of the Red Arrows, it will be the thin end of a very very big wedge.

What will be next? BBMF perhaps? Lets face it, (and I hate to say it) but most public people would prefer to see the Red Arrows over the BBMF, so why not get rid of them and save some more money for our PC causes? What about the Army's Blue Eagles (not sure about the Navy!)

That is what I am trying to impress upon you Sir. Once it starts, it will not stop. You must have seen it with the civilianisation of the RAF alone? Remember when it was just going to be admin staff as civvies? Then it went to the odd storeman and now look at it. Civvies training pilots, running bays, in charge of MT units. I wouldn't be surprised if there are more civvies working in the RAF than servicemen. It has to stop.

It is like a spreading cancer; it is the constant erosion of 'all things military', replaced by civilians and nice 'PC projects'. Please don't support that cause by suggesting that this government could save more money by getting rid of the Arrows, and the money going to better causes. Unfortunately, your better causes (and mine), are NOT the same as the governments better causes, and the money will, without doubt, go to those projects that you and I (and most reasonable people in this country) detest.

I am of the opinion that it is incumbant on us all to protect our aviation heritage and the pleasures and privilages that we have and enjoy today. There are plenty of people out there who are very anti-military in every sense of the word. Please don't add fuel to their argument by fighting in-house to get rid of the Red Arrows (or BBMF) You can see it now in the papers 'Even the RAF want to get rid of the Arrows!'

I only hope that this government are out of office soon and Cameron restores some common sense back to British Poilitcs, although I have my doubts aboout that also (Oh dear, I'm begining to sound a bit like a politician now!)

The Winco