PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - South African Airways hiring / expanding this year?
Old 23rd Feb 2007, 06:25
fluffyfan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jbayfan, what indications are you talking about? SAA has been bailed out by the government since it started decades ago (one of the oldest airlines), SAA has always been running out of money, Why? because its always been a political tool, in the old days SAA used to fly with 10 people on board a Classic to Israel round the bulge, what has Khaya done that has everyone calling for his head, it will take time to fix the Chaos, admittedly he does not help his reputation by taking helicopters to work, but lets look at what he has done so far, started Mango, which is giving the LCC a headache, and now he is trying to fix the structure, I reserve comment till I see the results, the last two bosses were horrific, Colman sold all the assets did some fancy footwork and left with half the farm, the last clown bet the rest of the farm on the Rand/Dollar exchange rate.
You may be right about 2010 but I sincerely doubt it, Air Zimbabwe continues to operate to this day with nothing? Why? because its a political tool. Do you ever think the Government will give up SAA? I don’t. I think privatisation is the way to go eventually aka British Airways but at this point who wants to buy and airline that is incapable of making a profit. I doubt the Government will ever bin SAA, firstly it will kill the economy, thousands of PD people will loose there jobs, 200 odd PD pilots as well as 600 whiteys will have no job (just the pilots alone in terms of tax using the average salary of a pilot who has been at SAA 10 years thats approx 320 million in lost revenue for sars), they will promptly leave for greener pastures with a huge pilot shortage in the rest of the world they will have no problem finding new jobs, and this while the goverment it seriously worried about a skills shortage, in the mean time rich white owned airlines will slowly fill the gap with old equipment and prosper, how on earth do you expect the parliamentarians and ANC top dogs to travel with no State Airline? Kulula? I don’t think so, you need to witness Zuma taking a trip to Durban, its an eye opener.

Last edited by fluffyfan; 23rd Feb 2007 at 06:51.