PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - PAL Pilot Exodus
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2007, 10:59
ww1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"I dont think the pilots took out the Anti skid. Even with Anti-skid "ON" it is still possible to have skid marks on the R/wy due to heavy braking. Remember that the Anti-skid system is just to prevent the vehicle (car or plane) not to spin on a locked a wheel. If all the wheels are locked or have the same braking power, then the vehicle wont spin thus you can still have the skid marks on the r/wy."

Say WHAT??
The reason airplanes have anti-skid systems is to prevent wheel lock-ups in the first place. The reason being that a locked wheel has a lower coefficient of friction and thus decreased braking action compared to a wheel that is just short of locking up - just on the verge of skidding but still rolling. If the a/skid system is working properly, both pilots could be absolutely standing on the pedals and the wheels should not lock up. The wheels will be kept just barely on the rolling side of that fine edge between locking and not locking. This gives max deceleration.

The PAL overshoot in Tacloban had skid marks running in essentially straight lines right up to the end of the rwy. It seems that the skid lines were the result of a lockup and not due to any swerving (anti-skid won't affect a skid due to a swerve anyway).

Again, I'm wondering why the locked brakes in the first place. People have said the Captain involved is one of the good guys, so I hope he gets a fair shot at this. If it was problem with the airplane I hope PAL does the right thing and not crucify the innocent.