PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Save The Red Arrows - Sign the Petition
View Single Post
Old 21st Feb 2007, 07:30
Clockwork Mouse

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Foregive the input from a former Pongo into yet another internal crab cat fight, but I really cannot let so much ill-informed and silly drivel go without comment.

I fail to see why the justification for the continuing existence of the World's finest and best known aerobatic team, which just happens to be British, should degrade into a personal attack on the operational record, credibility and quality of life of the pilots involved. I can only conclude that envy, petty jealousy and ignorance play a large part in pursuading idiots like Rudekid to keep venting their spleen in print.

Credibility? The Reds are selected from the ranks of FJ pilots. As we have not had to fight for air superiority with the Iraqis or Taliban, it is not surprising that they have less time in a combat environment than, for example, SH crews. So how does that effect their credibility? Credibility for what?

As for family and social life, the Reds spend a large proportion of each year away from their families. The 10 weeks training in Greece and Cyprus followed by an overseas display trip, just about every week-end for the rest of the display season, further overseas display trips, many week-ends outside the season keeping the many sponsors happy. I'm surprised their kids recognise them. It may look glamorous to the outsider, but in reality it is an unrelenting grind. The stress of close formation flying to such a level of perfection is also considerable. They are not being shot at, but neither are they sitting in comfort drinking coffee.

These guys are the cream of the cream of flying and, amazingly, are also a thoroughly nice, balanced, team-playing, unegotistical bunch of fellows. If they were not, they would not be what they are: the best.

If the likes of Rudekid want to get rid of them in the naive assumption that the minute resultant financial savings will make any noticeable difference to the price of fish, OK. They are entitled to their opinion. However, lay off the petty attacks on the quality, integrity and dedication of the people involved.