PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NetJets Ab Initio & Cadet issues
View Single Post
Old 19th Feb 2007, 16:31
Life's a Beech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Space Pig

Where did you pick up that complete load of old twaddle? Why do you assume everyone else wants to get into the airlines just because you do?

"...airline flying is not for you because you are not able to qualify and pass their difficult tests. That' s why you are in GA ... Every pilot with a bit of sense of career drive, jobsecurity and a bit of ego cannot honestly say he is not interested flying the airlines"

I'm in GA. I passed the "difficult" tests to join the Royal Navy (you know, the ones that are harder than the RAF's). I want to stay in GA for now, possibly for my whole career.

The reason I am in GA is that I want flying experience that is different from the airlines. I absolutely love my job, and am only looking to go onto something else that I think will be as interesting, so it's GA or one of a small number of airlines that I know are good to work for, because I have many friends there. Most airlines I wouldn't touch. I have many friends in airlines who moan about their jobs, including one who used to do my job, and says that if he didn't have a £22,000 bond he'd want to come back.

Surely airline pilots have a reputation for unjustified and oversized egos, do they not?

If you have an ego that relates to reality, and any rational analysis of aviation then come and do my job. Few people would say that airline flying is harder than single-crew in an unpressurised twin on ad-hoc charters, sometimes into airports and even small airfields that you haven't heard of until an hour before the flight, briefing from Jeppesens while airborne. The fact that I can do this job strokes my ego just fine. Job security is fine, and career drive can wait. My experience as line and training captain in these circumstances has to help later when I want to shift to the left seat and then have a training role in whatever organisations I fly for afterwards.