PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angry Post
Thread: Angry Post
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2007, 20:26
Gnirren

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is important now is stay positive, and try not to let the lack of an aviation job define your lives.
One important point I would stress after personal experience. Aviation I find is unique in that you have to basically let the industry define your life. It can be pretty volatile and if you get laid off or the company goes belly up you'll find yourself moving to get a job again, quite possibly to another country. I fly with countless guys who all have ended up commuting to their families from abroad after flying at home for years because of changing circumstances.

It's a luxury to fly airplanes and be able to live a stable life where you come home at the end of a working day. I think this is something that gets lost on many aspiring pilots who only see the good aspects of flying. Basically flying is a lifestyle, and it will dictate many aspects of your life.

This is the most crucial thing to consider in my mind, for family members definitely. Getting hired is just scratching the surface, ask yourself are you prepared to move to another country for your husbands career? 5 years from now if he gets a base change or gets laid off, are you prepared to move to yet another country to survive? If you have kids settled in school and you stay, are you prepared to have him commuting and seeing him 12 days out of the month? What if he does long-haul and almost never comes home?

I could easily name a number of captains who are working on divorce number 2 or 3 and it's no fun. Not trying to put you or him off, but these scenarios are not extreme in any way I don't think.

Another thing you can do is sign up at this forum, it's basically the wife of a US pilot who started a forum for the families (wives mostly of course) and they can surely give you their opinion of what it's like to live with a pilot.

http://www.pilotfamilies.com/joomla/index.php