PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Will work for free'
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2007, 19:01
nuclear weapon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote by Vortex ThingYou and Scroggs may call it stupidity, I call it ambition. A dangerous financial game you call it. Well call me a bluff old traditionalist but it is a mathematically sound game in my eyes. I am well qualified, multi skilled with a diverse work experience. It is not as if I will be working in McDonalds if it all goes wrong. If I persist and am good enough then I will get a suitbaly rewarded position. That will enable me to look after my family whatever I end up doing. If I end up as a bus driver then I will try and be the best bus drive that ever existed, that's just how they made me, forgive me if this is a scary concept but there are some driven people out there who actually want to work hard, be dedicated, earn a living and don't expect to earn huge amounts of money.

Having recently been for a ryanair selection recently and not made it I am begining to think as we say in Africa that every dissappointment is a blessing in disguise. I spoke with two of my friends with whom I went to school after the selection and I was shocked they both said the same thing that I should concider it a lucky escape. In both cases they both have friends whom have recently been employed by them and have recieved first hand accounts of how things went.

The enthusiasm they had for flying since they were kids almost evaporated within a month of flying brand new 738's for ryanair. One was sent off to a base he didn't want becauce that was the only place available. Stanstead now has about 500 pilots for 40 planes. However I did gain the experience of interview and sim check also talking tio other prospective pilots from all over the world on that day.

Scroggs After a couple of years in the job, you will wonder what you were thinking when you declared you'd do whatever it takes to get into the job: accepting little or no pay, ****ty conditions, ever-moving bases and all the other things referred to in this and other threads. With your £100k debt to service, you may well find that you are having to take on other work, and your partner is also working to pay your debt - as well as keep a roof over your heads, and food on the table. The strain will tell. Not yet, maybe, but it will.

In both cases I refered to they both regreted it in less than two months of line training wondering what they've got themselves into. One was even bold enough to admit that he wasn't warned well enough which is odd concidering the availability of pprune and other sources.

I am still trying to figure out how ryanair is profiting from this sstr schemes short of the companies in question CAE and SAS paying them a commission for every candidate that forks out £19k for type ratings. But then we are in a capitalist society in which terms and conditions are dfetermined by market forces rather than what is right or common sense. To those who want to go to ryanair good luck but go in with your eyes wide open and remember if I had been successful myself I will be part of the problem contributing to worsening conditions for future pilots. The question we have to ask ourselves is that do I want my dream so bad that I am willing to mess things up for those coming behind.