PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angry Post
Thread: Angry Post
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2007, 18:52
Shiny side down

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angrywife. We were there too.

It is a risk, and an expensive one at that with no guarantee. But stay positive. As previously suggested, even had you both known in advance how difficult it would be, you may have gone ahead anyway.

For what it's worth, here my path to where I am now.
I started flying (PPL) at 27, ran out of money for a while. Stayed in my old job, got seriously fed up, and finished PPL off much later, with licence issue for CPL/IR in mid 2000, and first job in Late 2003.
How my wife coped is beyond me(in fact we weren't married at the time). Dark times, but also good times. We both worked towards the future, struggling together.(sounds corny, but hey)
75% of the guys on the IR courses with me were in the same boat. As far as I know, all have good jobs now. Some have commands on Jets. Others like myself are getting close to it. Many have been through some lesser jobs first.

Set aside the less helpful posts on here. Look at the many others that demonstrate that this is not an unusual situation.

The first hurdle has been achieved. Licence issued and qualified.
Next hurdle is staying proficient. I used to rent a twin once a month and fly the local procedures. But it's not the only way. I wouldn't even suggest that keeping the IR continuously current is the way to go. Renewing rather than revalidating, may be a wise choice. Simulator is a good way to do this.

What is important now is stay positive, and try not to let the lack of an aviation job define your lives. Get on with your lives. Seriously consider ANY opportunities that are presented.