PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jersey-2
Thread: Jersey-2
View Single Post
Old 18th Feb 2007, 03:44
jerboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its excellent news that WW are starting a BHX service from JER. Along with the new LHR, LTN, and increases to various other services its a sign that the industry are starting to show an interest in Jersey again, lost many years ago when the number of services from the rock started to decline.
Ok there may not be many routes to Europe but I honestly don't believe these would be that popular. In my experience in dealing with Jersey passengers the majority seem to be going further afield than Europe, and those that do travel to the continent are far too spread out to be served by just one airport. The only routes I do believe could work would be ones from Portugal or Poland... not because a lot of locals want to visit there, but because we have a huge working community from both of those countries.
Whilst Julian Green and the airport committee may be after all these 'flagship' routes to Europe, my belief is that these would not survive without heavy subsidy from the states. Instead we seem to be getting sorted a decent commercial network, with competition, that will ultimately serve islanders better. Let's not forget its not every regional airport's God-given right to be served by major national airlines to LHR and LGW, especially with Jersey's tiny catchment size.
Those of us that live on Jersey are more than used to having to connect at a UK airport to catch our flight to the sun, and in my opinion a better regional service (which would allow pax to connect onto where ever they like) far better serves the island than the few European destinations which would benefit the few, but would be irrelevant to many.
phew... don't know where that came from... just felt like saying it!!