PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angry Post
Thread: Angry Post
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2007, 19:00
BAP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry but my partner is 34 years old and is a lot more mature than some of these younger pilots who get in because their father or family members work for the airline. Honestly!
Angrywife, I do feel sympathy with your situation, but no more than I feel for everybody else without a job.

Your partner is 34, and has completed his training back in july last year..
So to me, he or you has absolutely no right to complain. Everybody knows(if they have made just the smallest amount of research) that when you pass the age of 30, it is going to become harder and harder to land that first job..

Almost every new pilot I know, has been unemployed for atleast a year, but more commen between 1 1/2 and 2 years before they got there first job..

Back the age issue. You do more or less say that your husband is more entitled to a job, because he is more "mature", than other qualified candidates.
I can inform you that I am 23 and is flying big commercial jets, which I have done for about 4 months now. I have gone through extensive screening along with both older and far more experience guys than myself, but they decided to offer me the job, because of my personality. I then got extra training than they would normally give there pilots, in order to make sure that I got to the required standard, before I was released to fly on the line. And I didn't know anybody within the airline or any other airline for that matter!!

I had to wait for 1 1/2 years before I finally got a chance to proof myself to an airline, and just as everybody else, I was sending more CV's out than I can count to.
In the mean time I had to work with something else. I worked in airports in order to try to get to know people, and I was actually offered two jobs on small propeller aircrafts, just before I got the job which I have now..

am just glad that the airlines have stopped taking in people with 250 hrs on the big jets, as I don't like to sit as a passenger with inexperienced crew up front. And sorry to say, but you only learn basic flying skills on a flightschool. The real skills have to be learned in the "traffic", just like with a drivers license.
Well, I am sorry to hear that, but to be honest in order to get the job you will have to pass all the same tests and exams as everybody else, so although you're not experienced, you still have the have required skills to cope with emergencies.

I have personally already tried things that most pilots never experience, and in both cases I recieved great feedback from the captain, because he was very pleased with my way handling the situation and with my help.
None of us know how we react in a real emergency, but I know already. Fortunately enough, both cases turned out to be false alarm!

So please don't say all the crap about you don't wan't to fly with inexperienced pilots, because we will all have to start somewhere...
And why do you feel that it's okay to have inexperience pilots on turbo-props, they are just as likely to be involved in an emergency, where you have to count on the "young" F/O...

That was just my view..
Angrywife, I wish your husband all the best of luck!
/BAP

Last edited by BAP; 17th Feb 2007 at 19:34.