PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angry Post
Thread: Angry Post
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2007, 17:29
UP and Down Operator

Angrywife: I am sorry to sound a bit harsh here, but the fact that your partner pays a lot of money and does a lot of training, gives him no rights at all for a job.

I got my own commercial licenses in january 2002 (just after the terror attacks on world trade), and used the following 3 years to brand myself and get a descent job. That was with flying moonlight taxiflying (glad I am anonymous here ) , flying skydivers and showing friends and families how the world looked from above in a little 4 seater that i leased. All of it to accumulate hours to get the first job on a turboprop.
After that some years with low salaries where I had to have a fulltime job on the ground to be able to afford flying for the low-paying GA companies.

All very hard work, but it landed the job I wanted, and I am to start in a months time = 5 years + after i obtained my licenses.

I am just glad that the airlines have stopped taking in people with 250 hrs on the big jets, as I don't like to sit as a passenger with inexperienced crew up front. And sorry to say, but you only learn basic flying skills on a flightschool. The real skills have to be learned in the "traffic", just like with a drivers license.
Unfortunately that also means that you can not go directly from school and into a jet so many places anymore, but as mentioned here by others, then that information have been available to your husband before he started the course.

I feel sorry for the financial situation it has put you in, but there is only two things to say to that:

1. That is the same for most other people who starts in this industry, but information about this topic is far mor accesible for newstarters now, via the internet, then for those starting say 10 years ago. It is about doing the research and then sit with the calculator and see if you can afford what it costs to be a pilot. (AND i agree, it IS way to expencive allready).

2. Don't be picky with the jobs. Start from scratch and do the hard work to gather some flying hours and get some experience. It takes time and the road is long, but if you keep working hard the results will show.

Happiness requires hard work