PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Angry Post
Thread: Angry Post
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2007, 16:08
scroggs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angrywife as I am an airline pilot, and also moderator of this website, you'll probably dismiss everything I have to say. I'll take that risk!

This industry is much the same as any other in that it requires those who wish to work in it to get themselves qualified to do so before they apply for a job. They aren't fully-qualified, but most of the way there. Those qualifications are taken on a speculative basis - the wannabe takes the risk that there may not be a job for them at the end of their training. If you look at law, medicine and a number of other attractive professions, mature entrants in all of them pay a great deal of money to achieve their qualifications - in some rare circumstances, more than wannabe pilots.

However, flying is different in that the numbers who want to do the job are far more than there are jobs to go to, This has always been the case and, even now when commercial aviation is expanding faster than ever, remains the case now. This is no industrial secret; the information was out there before your husband started training. He took the risk, and he must accept the consequences of that risk. If he failed to adequately understand the risk, or to communicate it to you, that is not the fault of the industry. It is not airlines' role to pick up all those people who want to pilot airliners, pat them on the head and tell them 'Don't worry, we'll have a job for you,' before they start.

The process of obtaining a job in this industry is potentially very frustrating and difficult. The 'shelf-life' of a pilot's qualifications is short. Of the many hundreds who start off down this road every year, several - maybe 30% - will not make it to their desired airline job. If anyone is at fault for suggesting otherwise, it is the training industry, not the airlines. It is the training industry, not the airlines, that profits out of people buying training for which there may be no market. It is the training industry, not the airlines, that has a vested interest in getting as many people through the door as possible. They (well, most of them) don't really care whether a student gets employed or not; once they have his money, it's get the next one into the sausage machine. The airlines have nothing to do with that.

You have my sympathy for your predicament, but a read through this forum will demonstrate that you are far from on your own. There are many, many here who have let hope and desire cloud their judgement.

Perhaps there should be an Aviation Anonymous for all those whose uncontrolled desire to fly has ruined their lives...

Scroggs