PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Northern North Sea ATC: Q & A thread
View Single Post
Old 17th Feb 2007, 07:10
throw a dyce

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perhaps in ATC we should be looking at how we work rather than trying to get the helis to schedule.There are increasingly as many arrivals as departures at 07.30,so perhaps we should be delaying them at bit.For example 10 mile gaps to allow the backlog of departures.At the moment Tower can get pressured by Radar always wanting visuals,or using spacing where there is no gap.
Also cutting down on co-ordination is a start,and having laid down spacing that Radar must achieve,especially in low-vis,would help the overall flow.
Helis wanting circuit training is a major headache.Unlike in the 80's,Longside has gone,so a lot of training is being requested at peak times.Controllers will try to fit this in,but it usually means delaying scheduled.Also trying to conduct circuits in bad wx,when the Tower has to separate traffic is becoming impossible.I had to hold a circuiter for 48 mins at Brimmond in SVFR,because I had nowhere else to go.
If Tower is given a chance then it's amazing how quickly you can move departures,especially if there is a mix of fixed wings.I think we should be more structured and work to help each other.Sometimes it's seems like the opposite.