PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Northern North Sea ATC: Q & A thread
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2007, 16:38
Overt Auk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Minor one but...

The order of priority is aviate, navigate, communicate.

If you have something that is going to affect my future ability to aviate, like someone coming the other way at my level then I need to know about it urgently. If you just want to identify me then (for the time being at least) you come into the communication bracket.

When I lift off a platform in the ESB I want to first make sure that we are flying correctly (aviate), This takes the first 500 ft. I then want to do after take off checks (navigate). This takes the second 500 ft. Once at cruising level, I will want to do top of climb checks (navigate again). This takes about 1 minute. If, while I am aviating or navigating you require me to squawk ident, then read back change of service you are promoting the communication above higher priority tasks.

Some controllers already wait for us to level, do essential tasks and offer estimates. From our side this is ideal. (& if for some reason we havn't communicated within 2 minutes of levelling, then I accept that a nudge is appropriate). It would be great if all could do the same unless, of course there is a possible confliction. But then you would normally have told us about it before we lifted.

OA