PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LoCo airlines busting minima in LVP's at STN?
Old 2nd May 2006, 09:43
RAT 5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A couple of questions;

1. Are you sure you cannot get a PIREPS from a landing a/c? In the past, before JAA, at a major European airport which was giving 450m for my CAT 1a/c, a local operator made a CAT 3 approach and confirmed that "the RVR on Touchdown was well in excess of what ATC was publishing". At the OM we were visual with the whole length of the runway and all approach lights. We landed, wrote a report to our C.P who forwarded it to the local CAA and never heard another word. I always thought PIREPS was an acceptable report in any circumstance, not only RVR's.

2. Did ATC, either via radio or ATIS, declare "Low Vis Procedures in force"? If so then an autoland is OK if the relevant minima were respected. If not, and minima were below appropriate CAT 1, then an autoland is not authorised.

There still seems to be the question hanging about as to whether these events ever really happened, and if so what has been published to the crews of the offending airline? Surely they must have taken steps to ensure there is no repeat. The WIP is on-going and this situation will arise again. So, what is the unequivical truth? or is this just a rumour? The RVR's could have been bouncing +/- minima continuously. One a/c lands the next Goes Around due to lower RVR's. Nothing unusual there.