PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jetstar StarClass
View Single Post
Old 14th Feb 2007, 07:53
Eastwest Loco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is another example for you good PPRuNers.
Booking made by me today for one of our high spend corporates - QF Platinum frantic flappers too. Comparing Garuda Executive to JQ Star Class there was a difference of $40.00, after I added a $50.00 service fee but the difference was the same down the back with no addons like food and amenities for the couples son who must eat cake if he wants to go.
Now the son gets full service and ice cold Bintang while mum and dad enjoy the J class service in the pointy end, and full if confused backup and accommodation if the aeroplane falls over, or protection onto another carrier on an FIM if it is a terminal take it to the shed fault.
It was really a no-brainer what they were going to choose. The Garuda lounges are interesting but absolutely fine and have all the amenities you need.
The Ryan Air formula may be dragging them in on short/medium haul domestic for now but is losing a lot on the translation to medium haul international. People who fly regularly are shying away and it is going to take a huge culture shift to make it any different.
I think Elroy is on the right track with the "failed experiment" theory and revert to mainline on JQ pay and contract labour. Sort of a velvet bulldozer compared to the Abeles/Hawke consortium restructure of yesteryear.
Taking the LCC formula which is firmly established with narrowbody equipment with varying degrees of success worldwide into widebody is either stupid, very clever or totally devious with more hidden agendas than a Labor Caucus.
There must be more to this.
I am sure this is going to bite us all on the butt in the short term, whichever way it drops.
In the interim, always check the full service alternatives. Also read all the stuff that is thrown up in front of you on a web-booked fare as there is more than likely something that you have missed, like being advised you have been booked onto a LCC codeshare.
Or, consult a professional that issues tickets in-house and knows what they are doing, just like you but working in a different field of knowledge.
Best regards all
EWL