PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What does ATC do that 'irks' you?
View Single Post
Old 10th Feb 2007, 01:05
Shitsu_Tonka

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes mate, I did read your post.

I think we are in agreement generally.

However, Radar lowest safes will not be shown on any (civil) approach plate.

http://www.airservicesaustralia.com/...AFGN01-101.pdf

you should be 1500-1600' on a 3o approach anyway.
We don't work on 'should be's' - we have to apply 'actuals', and with radar observed altitude data tolerances, actually leaving 1500 (clear of the 01 ILS) means 1100FT radar observed, or a pilot report on the Radar Freq - when you really want to be on the CTAF (goes back to workload you mentioned). And how do I know you are visual? Basically I don't until you tell me - so my IAL to 01ILS from FLYNN is blocked - as is a separation standard with the 01ILS generally, and any other traffic waiting to descend below your MAPCH CLB ( 3800FT! - and how on earth did we get that Missed Approach direction!).

It's why it is called Air Traffic Control, not Air Traffic Advisory.

I totally agree, that once cleared for the approach we don't need to talk to you unneccessarily - but we do have an obligation to provide you with an approach monitoring service whilst in control area, as well as uphold our duty of care generally, including pop-up traffic. In IMC, AF is basically one in one out. Remember we have to 'protect' the airspace for your missed approach. This impacts significantly on 01 IMC ARR to BN, as well as 19 SIDS. On 01 you might even get some vectoring or holding to allow 01 traffic in to Brisbane. And we may well be delaying departures on the CORAL SID off 19 to facilitate your approach.

It's the big picture we look at - not just your airplane.

Quite honestly - that is usually the point of difference between ATC and Pilots views on airspace.