PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jumpseats in Europe?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2007, 10:41
knertius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jumpseat

I have to agree with bealzebub to a large extent. However there are some rules written in the OPS Manuals that have their origins in the low intensity "war" that seems to exist between ground staff and aircrew. In our company there was a huge outcry from ground staff that they were at a disadvantage because captains were giving jumpseats to aircrew who had less seniority than the ground staff who were hoping to ride on the jump. After a huge campaign by the ground staff union the manuals were changed in such a way that the captain could only decide IF he/she was going make jumpseats available but the decision WHO was going to sit on those seats was going to be made by the gate staff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is one rule that I DO NOT adhere to when it comes to the cockpit jumpseat! I will always prefer people that I know personally to sit on that seat. And 99% of the time these personal acquaintences will be either cockpit or cabin crew. If I don't know anybody then I will prefer aircrew over ground staff. The reason is obvious, I think. In the cramped environment of the cockpit I would prefer to have someone who I know will do what I tell them to do when the situation warrants it and who could possibly also be an asset in an emergency situation. Aircrew also know when to keep quiet and when its ok to talk, usually... But if no personal acquaintances or crew are around I will ALWAYS allow ground staff and other airline employees on the jumpseat. If the gate staff complain that I am not following company rules then I just state that I will not be allowing ANYONE on the jumpseat for that flight.