PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Military Pilot to Civilian Flying?
View Single Post
Old 9th Feb 2007, 00:08
heights good

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dilemma - Im currently serving in the UK military as non-pilot aircrew with 7 years until my contract ends. I hope to pursue a career as an airline pilot when I leave. I will be self funding and obviously have to balance cost with standard of training and economy of effort. My dilemma is as follows - I see 3 options open to me to fulfil this,

1. Start my PPL this year followed shortly by a Night rating, IR, some hours building to take me to the minimum for a CPL and a FI rating and obviously the ATPL theory. Over the next few years hours build some more then a year before leaving the service get all the MCC, ME rating for when I leave so that I can leave with a fATPL.

2. Save enough money over the next 7 years for an integrated course that I can complete when I leave.

3. A pick and mix of the first 2 options. obtain a PPL and IR/night rating ASAP so i can hours build possibly abroad and save over the next 7 years. When I leave then start an Integrated course (or a basterdised version) of the ATPL theory, CPL, MCC, ME rating.

I obviously have flying hours but not as a pilot. I appreciate that this will count for next to nothing, however this will stand me in good stead for the basics of flying training. This aside what are the pro's and con's to each of my options. The big disadvantage that i can see with waiting is the cost of flying training, fuel, exam fees etc. increasing through time. My gut feeling is that the flight instructor route is a sensible option and this can help part way to funding my training as i can earn money for instructing while building hours.

It seems a complete minefield, i have searched the forums before I am advised to do this. There are plenty of threads for pilots but nothing for military non-pilots.

Many thanks in advance and feel free to PM me if this seems more appropriate.

Heights good