PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Life after EK
Thread: Life after EK
View Single Post
Old 8th Feb 2007, 18:10
Inspector Clueless

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Life after EK

Well.I am one of the 94-150 plus(take your pick) pilots that left EK in 2006 and there is believe it or not life after EK.For those considering leaving(or joining) heres my take on it:-

It wasnt a hard decsion to leave-once you are set to go,but it is a wrench to leave a company & friends after 10+ years and start over-that said I have been made very welcome at my new outfit and Im treated like an adult.I have some good friends still at EK but many have gone and I can report they are all happy to have done so-thus far.Many like myself have a peek at Pprune to see what s going on-it is after all he only real way to get a cross section of opinion apart from friends still there.

Heres the facts compared with the real world as I see it:-

Experience at EK is second to none,good equipment,varied flying,generally a good standard with generally good people to work with.Decent if not varied training standards(I was a trainer)

Pay hard to equal in overall package terms,not bad EXCEPT currency conversion was an issue for me and hit me hard when getting Prov Fund out.Prov Fund v v disappointing.Currency exchange is biting hard unless you are investing/spending in USD.

I think there must be some real questioning going on somewhere "upstairs" as to how EK descended into its current situation-I had 8 great years at EK and another final 3 were highly disappointing watching some unreal decisions unfold.

I think EK offers a job if you need one and good opportunities for those willing to take the plunge.If youre going now with your family the advice on PPrune is honest and it will help make your decsion.Personally unless there are some radical re thinks I dont think it will be a career especially if you leaving the 1st world and a good job already.If however you NEED a job its still OK and you could do a great deal worse.For me DXB could never be home and after a long time it was time to move back.EK I think delude themselves that this is why pilots leave and that "market forces" are at work.Nonsense on both counts IMHO they simply do not listen to what pilots need and want in terms of lifestyle.With young kids DXB was great for us-teenage kids not ideal,again my opinion only.The roads were a lot less busy then and the beaches etc more plentiful.

EK have however IMHO missed some crucial opportunities to have made EK one of the best and most highly sought after jobs in the industry.Why they decided to play hardball and ignore all the advice and suggestions I personally do not understand.Everyone of my friends told the same old story at the exit interview and clearly it was "box ticking" as nothing has changed at all.

Eventually these decisions will have consequences for EK-Im glad I went and gained fantastic experience,made great friends had good times.However,most of those friends have gone and Im glad I left.

I wrote to AS and Mr ED but neither bothered to reply-so I guess they really dont know why I personally left,to those joining good luck but go in with your eyes and ears wide open having done your research.Had anybody listened yet alone acted on what the 94-150 pilots said at their interviews I truly believe many would have stayed.It doesnt look to me that with the current team in place thats ever likely to happen so long may the pilot market be buoyant.

If you want more info-let me know I will try and remain honest.

Inspector Clueless